Having lived right outside of Boston for the past three years, I completely understand why New Englanders love their comfort food during the winter! I don't know about you, but all I want to do during the winter is snuggle under some warm sheets with a pint of Sam Adams in one hand and a Union Square Maple Bacon Donut in the other!
Must be a New England thing... or maybe just what I dream of doing thing?
At any rate, as the weather has been particularly brutal these past few days, I felt inspired to get into the kitchen to whip up something that would warm me up this winter, and would definitely be healthier than a pint of beer and donut. That's why in this week's episode of A Spoonful of Soul, I whipped up three healthy and delicious, southern-inspired recipes that you will love!
We prepared a Healthy Instant Pot Barbecue Ribs, Southern-Style Collard Greens and Mashed Sweet Potatoes! This main dish and sides are perfect to warm you up this winter. Read through to try it yourself and get the other recipes below:
Healthy BBQ Side: Southern-Style Collard Greens
SERVES: 4 to 6 | PREP TIME: 5 Mins | COOK TIME: 60 Mins | TOTAL TIME: 65 Mins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 diced Vidalia onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 lb collard greens
- Large pot
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Heat a large pot with oil over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in vegetable broth, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning to your desired liking.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low.
- Add in the greens and simmer for 1-hour stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add in additional seasoning as needed.
- Serve immediately.
The Must-Have Guide to Kick Start Your Mindful Eating Journey
Do you find yourself constantly battling with the voice in your head over what you should or should you not eat? Or, scolding yourself when you eat something you feel you're not supposed to eat?
If so, download The Mindful Eating Method Starter Kit today!
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.